Birth Mothers FAQs

When do I sign the legal documents required for adoption?

Mothers sign adoption consents 48 hours after the birth of the baby or on the day they are discharged from a licensed hospital or birthing center. Fathers can sign an affidavit before the birth of the baby, or adoption consents any time after the birth of the baby.

Can a birth mother anonymously surrender a newborn child?

Yes, the Florida Safe Haven law allows a parent to bring a child within 7 days of birth to a hospital or fire station for the purpose of adoption.  You have the right to remain anonymous and no questions will be asked. 

I already had a baby, is it too late to make an adoption plan?

It is never too late to make an adoption plan.  We can work with you to create a plan for a baby or child. 

My infant/young child is in DCF care, can I make a private adoption plan?

Yes, Florida law allows you to choose a private adoption for your child(ren).  We will file a Motion to Intervene so we can advocate for you. Through private adoption, you can choose and meet the adoptive family and receive pictures and letters throughout your child’s growing up years.

Can I choose a family for my baby?

Yes, most moms choosing adoption want to choose the family that they feel will be best suited to parent their child. We have many wonderful families waiting to be chosen. 

Can I choose a closed, semi-open or open adoption?

Yes, this is your adoption plan and your wishes will be honored.

Does the birth father have any rights?

Florida adoption statutes give us the tools to properly and timely address the birth father’s legal rights. We respect his role in adoption planning and will discuss the best way to work through this process with him.

Does it cost me anything to place my child for adoption?

There is no cost to the mom or dad placing their child for adoption.

Can the agency assist me with my expenses?

Florida law allows us to assist the mother of the baby with reasonable living expenses during the pregnancy and for 6 weeks post-partum. This assistance comes from the adoptive family, through the agency.

I placed a baby for adoption through ASC, how can I get more information about my adoption?

Please call ASC and one of our counselors will be happy to talk with you about your specific situation. You may also choose to register on the Florida Adoption Reunion Registry.

More Questions?

For general contact, please complete the form below, and a member of our staff will get back to you to discuss further details.

7 + 9 =


es_ES en_US